The Unitarian Universalist Church of Augusta is a Welcoming Congregation as defined by the Unitarian Universalist Association. We welcome and affirm the dignity of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people, as well as that of same-sex couples. In addition, we prohibit and speak against discriminatory policies, private or public, which demean the sexual orientation or gender identity of human beings. We affirm that the spiritual and ethical experiences of LGBT people from throughout history are valid markers for our understanding of the depth of our shared humanity.
As a Welcoming Congregation we have pledged to:
- honor the lives of all people and equally affirm displays of caring and affection without regard for sexual orientation.
- celebrate diversity by using inclusive language and content in worship.
- incorporate an understanding of the experience of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer persons throughout all of our programs, including religious education.
- affirm and celebrate lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer issues and history.
- affirm marriage equality and conduct same-sex weddings.
- advocate for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer people, promoting justice, freedom, and equality in the larger society. We speak out when the rights and dignity of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer people are at stake.
We recognize that there’s always something more to learn, and remain open to deepening our understanding about the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer people.
We are Standing on the Side of Love, through which we seek to end repression, including the repression of LGBT people through law.
We also proudly link to local organizations which support and celebrate LGBT experiences, including Augusta Pride.